Many sales reps don’t know who their customers are – don’t know where to find them.
And if they don’t know, where do they spend their time or their company’s dollars?
Here are some good things to know to find the right customers:
- NAICS # or GICS # – for buying/researching prospect data & defining vertical markets
- Rough formula for estimating dollar size of service contract from publicly available data, such as # of employees, square footage, etc.
- Seasonal or typical contract cycles – bids go out in September for January 1 start?
- Typical buying process – technical RFP with pre-qualifying RFI, or informal bid submittal?
- Specialized, smaller industry associations aligning to specific verticals
- Blogs they read
- Online communities they participate in
- Industry associations they belong to
- Professional certifications they aspire to
- Criticality of your service to their company’s business survival or success
But with all sales prep work, never let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Something actionable is required. What research did you do to find the right customers?